Monday, June 25, 2012

beans + winning - good for the heart!

Happy Monday! This is me today...



I hope you all had a great weekend. Kell and I had big plans for cleaning out closets, but it never happened. Nap time was just way more appealing. I did do a little cookin', so I've got a bean-tastic (sorry) Delicious Dish for you.

I typically don't love a baked bean. I get that they're a summer cookout staple, but I always felt like there were other sides out there that were way more enjoyable. Plus, I knew there had to be a better way to prepare them that just dump a can into a pot. Agree?

Good ole Tasty Kitchen to the rescue.

Simple and Delicious "Baked" Beans

6 slices Bacon
½ whole Red Onion, Diced
1 can Maple Flavored Baked Beans (28 Oz)
¼ cups Brown Sugar
¼ cups Ketchup
⅛ cups Red Wine Vinegar
⅛ cups Water
½ teaspoons Worcestershire Sauce
2 dashes Hot Sauce (to Your Taste)
2 teaspoons Ground Mustard
¼ teaspoons Paprika

Start by heating a large sauce pan over medium-high heat. Chop bacon into small pieces. Add bacon to hot pan. When fat starts to render, add the onion. Let cook until onions are translucent and bacon is starting to crisp. Lower heat to medium. Add the rest of the ingredients into the bacon and onion mixture. Let mixture bubble for a couple of minutes and then turn heat down to just a simmer. Simmer for 20-30 minutes to let the flavors combine.

*If you are needing to make this for a large crowd, increase all of the ingredients as needed. Cook the bacon and onions as above but then just add all of the ingredients to a 13×9 pan and place in the oven for 45-60 minutes with the temperature set to 275 degrees F. *

In other news, we have a winner for the giveaway! Congratulations, Nina!

If you didn't win, and you're devastated (I never win anything, either), you can visit Rambling Road in Oxford or Taylor, Mississippi. And don't give up - I may have something else up my sleeve for a later date.

Don't let the Mondays get you down!

No comments:

Post a Comment